How We Pick & Test
- Price range: This field is dominated by expensive and high-end Telescopes, but we’ve included some models under $3,999.00.
- Build quality: We’ve chosen telescopes with strong tripods and good eyepieces and filters.
- Objective testing: We measured each telescope’s field of view, eyepiece power, and image sharpness using astronomer Mike Fitzgerald’s Field Test software.
- Scope for deep space: For our final pick, we held the telescope up to the night sky and looked for planets, stellar clusters, and galaxies.
And the winers:
- Best Overall Telescope: Celestron - NexStar 8SE Telescope - Computerized Telescope for Beginners
- Best Value Telescope: Celestron - NexStar 5SE Telescope - Computerized Telescope for Beginners
- Best Saving Product: Celestron - AstroMaster 114EQ Newtonian Telescope
Last update on 2022-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Optical quality: Telescopes can have “high” or “low” optical quality, which means that Pentax or Celestron telescopes can both be low or high optical quality. High optical quality telescopes (like Celestron, Orion, and Meade) are easier to use for a beginner, and often have longer warranties, but they’re also more expensive.
- Magnification: The magnification of a telescope refers to how much bigger or smaller objects will look through the telescope lens. You can usually see objects 30 times farther away than you can see with the naked eye.
- Field of view: The field of view refers to how wide the telescope lens is, and how big the area of the sky you can view is. An 80mm telescope will have a narrower field of view than a 4.5-inch reflector, and you won’t be able to see as much of the sky with a 4.5-inch reflector as a
Are you planning to make some deep-space observations? A high-quality telescope can make all the difference in your quality of observation. So, if you want to get great pictures of the night sky, you’ll need to invest in a great telescope. That’s why I recommend this Celestron - NexStar 8SE Telescope - Computerized Telescope for Beginners. It’s a great, all-around telescope that is perfect for both beginner and advanced users. Let me know what you think – and if you have any questions about a telescope, let me know in the comments!