How We Pick & Test
- Observability: The best Telescopes are easy to spot in the night sky and are easy to mount.
- Ease of use: The best telescopes are easy to set up, operate, and clean.
- Price: The best telescopes are affordable.
- Telescopes: We looked for telescopes from leading companies with proven reputations and models from recent years that performed well.
And the winners:
Best Overall Telescope: Orion 09007 SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector Telescope (Black)
The Orion SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector 5.1" Newtonian Telescope is a great value for the price. It has smooth tracking, and it's small enough to easily carry around, making it easy to enjoy the night sky from your backyard, as well as on camping trips, in an RV, or on an airplane. Its 5.1-inch aperture isn't as large as many higher-priced models, but it gathers enough light for pleasing views of planets and Moon, as well as brighter galaxies, nebulas, and star clusters.
This 130ST comes loaded with accessories to help novice stargazers get started, including a 1.25-inch Plossl eyepiece, smartphone camera adapter, full Moon map, and DeepMap 600, which records up to 600 seconds of video.
- Very easy to set up using the instruction manual
- Decent magnification for its price
- Comes with a phone adapter and a wireless remote
- Has a nice, solid feel to it
- The adjustable tripod and the soft carrying case are both nice touches
- The tripod can be a little wobbly
- The eyepieces seem to be a little flimsy, but still do the job
Best Value Telescope: Celestron – StarSense Explorer DX 102AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Telescope
The Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 102AZ is the kind of astronomical telescope that appeals to both novices and the more experienced observer. It's easy to use right out of the box, it pairs well with a smartphone, it has an affordable price tag, and it's compatible with iPhones and Android phones.
For the latter, the Celestron StarSense app works as advertised, instantly updating the current night sky conditions as you walk around your town. The app itself is lacking in some areas. It doesn't work as well outside as it does in clear, dark night skies and it only shows the next 24-hours of sky conditions, which is a bit limiting. Still, if you're willing to deal with a few limitations, the StarSense Explorer DX 102AZ is a seriously handy telescope.
- Easy to set up and use
- Comes with everything, including a smartphone adapter
- It’s capable of viewing planets, stars, and galaxies, though not as easily or as clearly as higher-priced models
- Good battery life
- The smartphone adapter seems slippery compared to other adapters I have used
- The telescope mount is noisy when in use
Best Saving Product: Celestron - AstroMaster 70AZ Telescope - Refractor Telescope - Fully
Last update on 2022-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Looking forward to buying a good space telescope in 2022? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Telescopes are now available in all shapes and sizes: There are different types of telescopes which are available in the market. These include telescopes which are designed for home use, telescopes that are meant for astronomy use, and portable telescopes for use even in outer space.
- Investing in a good telescope: There are different types of telescopes which you can buy. These include refractors, reflectors, and Cassegrains. When buying a telescope, it is important to choose one that is affordable, portable, easy to use and easy to understand.
- Enjoy sharp and clear images: It is also important to consider the clarity of the images produced by the telescope. The best telescope in 2022 should provide clear images with good resolution.
- Cost effective: It is also important to consider the price of the telescope. However, it is important to consider buying a telescope that is affordable without compromising the quality of the images produced.
So, who is the best space telescope in 2022? Well, that depends on what you’re looking for. If you want something that’s highly objective and performs well under all conditions, I’d recommend the 10-meter class telescope. But if you’re more interested in a telescope that gives you a personal experience, you should probably check out the 8-meter class telescope. Let me know in the comments below what you think is the best space telescope in 2022!
Don't forget to check: