HOW WE PICKED & TESTED
- Beginner friendly: We looked for telescopes with basic, user-friendly features, a bright, high-quality optic, and enough adjustability to keep novice stargazers satisfied.
- Magnification: We picked models with 50mm or larger lenses and adjustable magnifications (from 8 to 120x), as bigger lenses provide better stargazing experiences.
- Portability: Telescopes get unwieldy when fully extended, so we look for models with compact, portable designs.
- Durability: We looked for sturdy, weatherproofed housings, and we wanted telescope optics with scratch-resistant coatings.
- Sturdy tripod: A good telescope tripod should allow you to position the telescope precisely for stargazing, and it should hold steady in gusty conditions.
And the winners:
Best Overall Telescope:Celestron - AstroMaster 114EQ Newtonian Telescope - Reflector Telescope for
The AstroMaster 114EQ reflector telescope from Celestron is a fantastic choice for astronomy beginners. Its large 114mm primary mirror collects plenty of light to deliver bright, sharp images of the night sky. The light is reflected through two eyepieces, which then transmit an image to the eyes. The telescope is lightweight and stable. The physical size makes it easy to carry and set up. The mount is versatile and allows both viewing of the night sky and terrestrial objects. It includes an accessory package including 2 eyepieces, a tripod, and a StarPointer red dot finderscope. The mount allows you to point the telescope at objects in the sky or at objects on the ground.
It is easy to use and to set up. This telescope also comes with a free download of one of the top consumer-rated astronomy software programs. Programs range from beginner to expert level. You can zoom in on objects, take snapshots, draw objects, track objects, locate objects, and more. The AstroMaster telescope from Celestron is a great way to start learning about the night sky or to hone your astronomy skills.
- Extremely powerful telescope for the money
- Lightweight, compact, yet sturdy
- Easy setup
- Great design
- Great accessories
- Bonus software
- Eyepieces are a little hard to adjust
- Only 2 eyepieces, though you can add more
Best Value Telescope:Telescopes for Adults, 70mm Aperture and 700mm Focal Length Professional
The high-quality optics on the Wuyi Skywatcher 70mm Telescope with EQ Mount and 2 Plossl Eyepieces and Smartphone Adapter make it a top-notch telescope for beginning astronomers, and it easily converts into a handy smartphone adapter for amateur astrophotography. The 70mm aperture and 700mm focal length make images sharp and colorful, and the EQ mount is simple to set up and finely tune.
The eyepieces provided are of decent quality, but they're not the best for stargazing, as they provide less magnification than dedicated telescopes for stargazing and are far weaker in bright light. They do, however, have Plossl optics, which help reduce chromatic aberration and halo, so their users can see more stars. The mount's slow motion cable controls are easy enough to use, but it's a shame that they're included only in this kit, and not sold separately, so you won't be able to use them on other models.
- Sturdy EQ mount, with slow motion controls
- Comes with phone adapter and tripod
- The included box has a carry handle, which is a nice touch
- The included eyepieces have good eye relief
- The tripod is adjustable
- Nice carrying case
- The tripod is not super sturdy
- The tripod legs are a little wobbly
Best Saving Product:Gskyer Telescope, Telescopes for Adults, 600x90mm AZ Astronomical Refractor Telescope,Telescope
This telescope is probably one of the best value telescopes you will find on the internet. It is made from good quality material and is nicely balanced. When you turn the eyepiece you get a crisp image. The telescope comes with a full tripod, the tripod legs can be pulled down almost flush with the telescope body, and two large knobs to adjust height.
This telescope arrives already mounted onto the tripod, so easy to set up and start using. The telescope is one of the cheapest 600mm telescopes you will find, and I highly recommend it. If you want something that is fine for looking at the moon, stars, and planets, this telescope is for you.
- Very sturdy
- The 90mm aperture is plenty large for stargazing
- The tripod is adjustable
- Comes with 3 eyepieces
- Quite easy to focus
- The lens cover is a nice touch
- The tripod does not lock
- The tripod legs could extend further
Last update on 2023-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
A telescope can be used to view objects that are too far away to see with the human eyes. However, it is important to buy a telescope that is best suited for your needs.
Below are some of the things to consider when buying a telescope:
- Magnification power: Magnification power refers to the telescopic power. Telescopes with higher power are able to magnify objects that are farther away. This is helpful when you are viewing objects that are faraway, for example, the moon, stars, and planets. However, it is important to note that higher magnification power means more expense.
- Objective lens diameter: The lens diameter refers to the diameter of the objective lens. The larger the diameter of the objective lens, the more powerful the telescope.
- Focal length: The focal length refers to the distance from the lens to the focal plane. The closer the focal length to the focus point, the more powerful the telescope.
Even though your gears are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, accidents happen. That's why ASURION offers affordable 2-year accidental damage protection plans - all for as little as $3,99!*
Asurion's 2-year accidental damage protection plans cover you from the day you buy your plan. If something happens to your covered product, all you need to do is file a claim. ASURION will even send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price.
Features We Like
Fast, Easy, Convenient Repairs
2 Year No Deductible Coverage
24/7 Expert Tech Support
Specific Coverage for Drops, Spills and Cracked Screens
For Any Device - Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, Smartphone, Camera, Accessories
>>> View On Amazon
So, if you’re looking for a telescope that is perfect for beginners, check out this list of the Best Beginner Telescope for adults. I hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about these telescopes, please let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!
Don't forget to check:
- Top 10 Best Telescope Under 200 in 2022
- Top 20 Best Telescope Under 1000 in 2022
- 10 of The Best Beginner Telescope in 2022
- Top 10 Best Telescope For Viewing Planets And Galaxies in 2022
- Top 15 Best Family Telescope in 2022
- Top 16 Amazon Telescopes For Beginners in 2022
- Top 12 Best Telescope Computerized in 2022
- Best Telescope For Viewing The Moon 2022
- Top 4 Best Telescopes For Viewing Planets in 2022
- Best Telescope Under 1000 Top 10 Models Compared in 2022